Sunday, January 24, 2010

Woohoo!!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I made it! We've passed our indoctrination period and our drill test and now have...Privileges! All our electronics, and weekends off. At least until Monday. It's entirely possible that someone will do something stupid and lose us those privileges. We'll see what happens then people get back from Montreal.

So what's been going on in the meantime, you ask? Classes and homework and inspections for the most part. We dread inspections, though they're getting better. Crazy things happen, depending on how badly someone screws up and how creative the staff are that day. I'm definitely going to have to try to get a collection of everyone's stories and post them here sometime.

One of the cool things we've done is the ruck march. We had our first one two weeks ago. 3.2 km with about 30 lbs of stuff and the pace was gruelling. I'm in pretty good shape but I just could not walk that fast so I got sent back to the end of the line. That's supposed to be punishment because we're always straggling and have to run to catch up. It happens when no one can really keep up and the effect gets compounded over 20 people like a messed up slinky. But I preferred the jogging at the back. It's a little easier on my short legs than trying to walk so fast!

When we finally finished, I had blisters the size of quarters on both heels. Then we had to do the obstacle course. I can tell you we felt great to be done with it. Then all we had to look forward to was the next ruck march one week later and twice as long.

So the next one was 6.5 km carrying 50 lbs. Considering the pace of the first one, we were a little concerned about it. We started with a fireman's carry (about 100m carrying someone about our own size). Then our warrant said "Last time you showed what kind of pace you are capable of..." At which point we all started thinking "oh crap..." Then he continued "but today we're going to be a little more realistic." And there was a collective sigh of relief. There was an even bigger one when we finished and it felt REALLY nice to take the rucksack off and have a shower. I didn't even mind sitting in class all day afterwards, though quite a few others had a little more trouble staying awake than usual!

The only other big trial was the drill test and warrant inspection. In case I haven't explained it, the warrant is the big boss in charge of our platoon, even above our scary sergeant simon. It was rather painful to stand without moving while he came up and inspected and talked to all 60 of us individually. Then we marched around the parade square and did a few drill movements. I guess is went ok because later on, when the Sgt. was giving us the next schedule at our evening meeting, he said that he had never seen a week 4 parade that good. He doesn't give compliments easily so that was cool. I just hope that was honest, and not more psychological manipulation! Not that it really matters I suppose - it works just as well either way.

And so we earned our weekend. I have to say it was interesting to hang out with people here and go to the pub. We all know each other so well in some ways, and yet it was like meeting each other all over again. Without all our restrictions and rules, things changed. Some people changed quite a bit while drinking, or just became louder...I've also heard some of the stories of the people that went into Montreal...and let's just leave it at that! Our first freedom in a while and it is heady stuff. When we went to the Subway for lunch, one of the guys said he felt like a million bucks being able to eat there, and I know what he meant! That should give some idea of what we're all feeling like.

Except now, it's Sunday, and we have inspection tomorrow. Time for all of us to get ready and do all that homework that we've been avoiding this weekend. I just know my fire team partner is going to be the last one back tonight and expect me to be able to help him...well, I guess it's back to the grind! Hopefully more updates soon!
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment