Saturday, January 2, 2010

More belated updates!

Nov 22nd

It is 7am (4am PST and that's the LAST time I will think of that) and I've already screwed up! We're technically not even "in" yet and our platoon sergeant isn't here either, so we're a little confused.

We were supposed to meet and go for breakfast all together, but our "pod" (the area of 6 shared bedrooms) forgot the "be 5 minutes early everywhere" rule and was 1 minute late, so the rest of the platoon left without us! We did eventually find the cafeteria so it wasn't so bad, but if I was going to miss it, why didn't I at least sleep in??

Ug. I could go back to sleep now, but it's light out and I don't want to screw up my sleep schedule - at least any more! And so I will write. It'll almost be like I'm doing NaNoWrimo, but so far this place is not quite interesting enough for a story. The people are all too worried about doing something wrong to do anything at all!* At least, I feel that way and everyone else has that nervous rabbit look, so it's likely true of them too. Also I don't think many class clowns are attracted to the army life.**

So...about where we live. There are 6 rooms in each pod and 1 of ours is empty. 3 girls and 2 guys which could make the shower situation interesting! At least there are 2 sinks, though having only 1 toilet is going to suck. Too early to tell how it's all going to work out, but I like everyone I share space with so far.

My room is tiny and boring, which I suspect is on purpose. It is, however, not much smaller than the first room I shared my first year at Juilliard. Actually, they're pretty similar in size, except my desk is not under my bed AND I get it all to myself. Lots of closet space too, and windows that go across an entire wall. Sot it's really not bad. Just rather blah. And VERY warm. I turned my heat off and opened the window, which seems just about right. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the rest of the building but I have a feeling I might appreciate it a little more in the coming months!

I think I'll go for a walk now. It'll be good to get outside and I would like to try and orient myself and figure out where things are. I just have to brave the stairs. All 8 flights. Again. I will have amazing legs in a couple weeks!


Later addendums:

*turns out I just didn't live with them.
**also VERY wrong about that! Hoo boy...







Nov 22nd - 22:30

Even though we didn't really do anything, we have still been rather busy today. Meeting explaining things take a long time and are rather draining despite being boring. Or maybe it's because they're boring. Mostly they were explaining rules and prohibitions, things like which doors we can and can't use. Definitely NOT allowed to use the elevator. We learned how to march, and we have to march EVERYWHERE. Yellow lines on the floor make sure we stay on the right side of the hallway.

I still feel silly marching, but I think it's my lack of fatigues. Us newbies really stick out in our "civvies" and I'm sure that's on purpose. The military machine knows all about psychological warfare. I will write more about this later.

One thing we did not learn was how to make our beds with hospital corners. Luckily one girl in our pod already knows how and showed the rest of us. Not that we're expected to be perfect...at least not yet. But I AM supposed to be asleep. Hey, it's lights out! Good thing I got some of my work done. 5am is gonna come reeaal early. 5:45 breakfast - OH YEAH - the food here is actually really good. Meatloaf tonight and there was an excellent cake at lunch. man do I ever get distracted by food. ...right. Bed. Alright. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment